Thursday, June 10, 2010

Rain, rain go away...


I am a recent college drop out. You could say I decided to go with another direction or I prioritized the list of "important things" in my life and cut college out of the picture. Temporarily. Where does that leave me? Unemployed. Bored. Writing a blog.

It's a lot of work to be unemployed. You're constantly looking for jobs, going for interviews... hoping that this will be the one. I've been to more interviews in the last 3 weeks then I probably have in my entire life.
The thing about going to loads of interviews is that you get to see a lot of different people and places. I personally love people and places. I'm always curious about what the building looks like from the inside, how the office is set up and what the people are like in that area. One day I was walking down a street that looked like a modern day east-London in the 1800's and the next, I found myself on the busiest street in the city. I could probably dedicate a blog just to the different interviews I've gone to...

On the interview topic, interviews have really seemed to have taken a more laid back turn. When I was younger and applying for jobs, the questions were always so daunting. "Have you ever dealt with a crazed monkey?" ..."and what did you do?"... followed by a series of other situational questions designed to show how you react. As much as I hate those questions, I've always felt that they were valid and proved some use. But how times have changed (in a short period of time mind you). Nowadays, you walk into someone's office and they tell you all about their company and then ask if you have any questions (what questions could I possibly have left? are you done talking yet?). They have no idea what you did with that crazed monkey, or if you'd be willing to handle another in the future. Then, they send you away with a "we'll call you". What are these people basing their decision on? your ability to nod and whatever crap you squeezed into your ONE page CV? No wonder they don't call. They don't even know about my magic monkey tricks! or anything else remotely interesting...

Well, I think thats enough for now.

JC

No comments:

Post a Comment